This chili oil is glorious. It’s also way spicier than the stuff I’ve encountered at the restaurants and in the grocery stores, so consider yourself warned. Next time, I might consider adding some minced garlic and ginger at the very end (with the crushed red chili).
Yield: around 6 oz
- 4-5 oz of sunflower oil, or you can use canola oil
- 1 inch of cinnamon bark
- 4 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp ground Szechuan peppercorns
- 5 cloves
- 1/3 cup of crushed red chili
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan except for the crushed red chili.
- Over medium-low heat, simmer this for 30 minutes.
- Pour the crushed red chili into a heat safe glass container – I used a clean mason jar.
- While holding a metal sieve over the mason jar, slowly pour the hot oil over the red chilis. We just want to remove the chunkier spices (e.g. cinnamon stick) from the final product.
- Wait until this cools (!) and then go buck wild, drizzling this over whatever your heart desires.