Here is a tasty and simple recipe for breadsticks that go well with soup or a simple bruschetta. The prep time was about 30 minutes, inactive time was 45 minutes, and baking time was 15 minutes, for a total time of 1.5 hours.
Yield: 8 breadsticks
- 2 and 1/8 cups of flour (2 cups + 2 tbsp)
- warm water separated as 2/3 cup and 2 tbsp
- 1 and 1/8 tsp yeast (half of a package of yeast)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning mix
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- a pinch of Italian seasoning mix
- shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Add 2 tbsp of warm water to the yeast in a large bowl. Mix it well, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate container, mix the flour, sugar, Italian seasoning, and salt together.
- Once the yeast is ready, add the dry mixture, the remaining water, and the olive oil to it.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes in this bowl, until it is slightly sticky.
- Flour a flat surface and transport the dough there. Knead it by hand until it is very smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a log at approximately 1 inch thickness.
- Bisect the log until you have 8 pieces.
- Set the dough aside to rest under a towel in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a cooking pan or a cookie sheet.
- Place the bread sticks in the pan, and brush them with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the Italian seasoning mix and the shredded cheese (if using it).
- Bake for about 15 minutes.