Omnomnom… hearty tempeh and mushroom filling in a piece of crunchy cabbage with some spicy peanut sauce to the side… sign me up!
This makes about 4-5 servings.
- Peanut sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 10-15 shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, trumpet mushrooms, shimeiji mushrooms, take your pick. Or you can have a boring portabella mushroom cap… Dice the mushrooms.
- 1 bell pepper, diced (organic!)
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp chili sauce (try chili bean sauce or Guilin chili sauce)
- 1 can of water chestnuts (8 oz), diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 package of tempeh (8 oz)
- 1 head of green cabbage, or red cabbage, or lettuce
- 3 large carrots cut into ribbons (use a vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Blend all the ingredients for the peanut sauce together in a blender or food mixer. Mix well!
- Heat some oil in a large skillet and add the tempeh to it.
- After it turns a little brown, add the onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms to it. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and chili sauce. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water chestnuts and green onions. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Serve with the filling in the cabbage leaf, and add carrots, cilantro, and sesame seeds to your liking. Drizzle the peanut sauce over it, and enjoy!