I’m trying to get rid of the last of my palm oil so that I can consistently make palm-free soaps. Bentonite Clay adds a greenish tinge to the soap. It looks very nice. This recipe makes six 4 oz bars of soap.
*All measurements are weight measurements, not liquid measurements.
- 6 oz Olive Oil
- 4 oz Coconut Oil
- 6 oz Shea Butter
- 4 oz Palm Oil
- 5 oz water
- 2.71 oz lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
- 1 tbsp Bentonite Clay
- 0.25 oz Peppermint EO
- 0.25 oz Lavender EO
- 0.25 oz Rosemary EO
Base Oil Composition:
- 30% Olive Oil
- 20% Coconut Oil
- 20% Palm Oil
- 30% Shea Butter
More detailed directions here.
- In a heat-safe container, add lye to your water, stir, set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine essential oils. Set aside.
- In a separate container, combine the base oils. Heat to about 120-130F.
- When the lye water is about 130F (within 10F of the oils), pour the lye water into your base oils and blend with a stick blender.
- Just before trace, add the EO blend and clay.
- Pour in your mold, and allow to sit for 1 day.
- Unmold, cut, and cure for 6-8 weeks.