This palm oil free soap is very similar to my last palm free soap, except that I’m using safflower oil in place of castor oil and a sightly different percent composition of base oils. This recipe makes twelve 4 oz bars of soap.
*All measurements are weight measurements, not liquid measurements.
- 8 oz Olive Oil
- 8 oz Coconut Oil
- 3.8 oz Safflower Oil
- 6.5 oz Cocoa Butter
- 3.8 oz Sunflower Oil
- 9.5 oz water
- 4.15 oz lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
- 1 oz Orange EO
- 0.5 oz Lavender EO
- 1 tbsp Bentonite Clay
- 1 tbsp Lavender buds
- 0.05 oz Red Orange Oil Locking Mica Shimmer (colorant)
Base Oil Composition:
- 26.6% Olive Oil
- 26.6% Coconut Oil
- 12.6% Safflower Oil
- 12.6% Sunflower Oil
- 21.6% Cocoa Butter
More detailed directions here.
- In a heat-safe container, add lye to your water, stir, set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine essential oils. Set aside.
- In a separate container, combine the base oils. I like to break up the hard cocoa butter into small chunks so that it melts more evenly. It will melt around 130-140F.
- When the lye water is about 130-140F (within 10F of the oils), pour the lye water into your base oils and blend with a stick blender.
- Just before trace, add the EO blend, buds, colorant, and clay.
- Pour in your mold, and allow to sit for 1 day.
- Unmold, cut, and cure for 6-8 weeks.