This was my first attempt at making a shave soap. It had some trouble hardening, so I wasn’t able to cleanly unmold it. I think next time I’ll replace the palm oil with a higher percentage of cocoa butter. The feedback I’ve gotten on it is that it needs more emollients, but that the lather is great. You can see the soda ash on top of the bar… Recipe needs some work.
This recipe makes six 4 oz bars of soap.
*All measurements are weight measurements, not liquid measurements.
- 9 oz Olive Oil
- 4 oz Coconut Oil
- 4 oz Castor Oil
- 1.6 oz Palm Oil
- 1.6 oz Almond Oil
- 6 oz water
- 2.7 oz lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
- 1 tbsp Bentonite Clay
- 0.2 oz Eucalyptus EO
- 0.5 oz Lemon EO
Base Oil Composition:
- 45% Olive Oil
- 20% Coconut Oil
- 20% Castor Oil
- 8% Palm Oil
- 8% Almond Oil
More detailed directions here.
- In a heat-safe container, add lye to your water, stir, set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine essential oils. Set aside.
- In a separate container, combine the base oils. Heat to about 120F.
- When the lye water is about 130F (within 10F of the oils), pour the lye water into your base oils and blend with a stick blender.
- Just before trace, add the EO blend and clay.
- Pour in your mold, and allow to sit for 2-3 days.
- Unmold, cut, and cure for 6-8 weeks.