This recipe is based on Emeril Lagasse’s non-vegetarian lasagna. I added a few more spices, used some different vegetables, and left out the anchovies and olives). It took me around 2 hours to make; ~1 hr for food prep and ~1 hr for oven time. Next time, I think I’ll try buying tempeh from the store and work it into the Puttanesca sauce for extra protein.
This recipe will fill up one 9×12 glass casserole oven dish (5-6 servings).
- 10 lasagna noodle strips (don’t use the whole box!)
- 16 oz ricotta
- 8 oz pesto (make your own or buy from the store)
- 8 oz mozzarella (shredded)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Vegetarian Puttanesca Sauce:
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed basil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1-2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp capers
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Grilled Vegetables
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 portobello caps, cleaned and sliced
- 4 zucchini, diced into 1/4 in. pieces
- 2 onions, sliced into 1/4 in. thick rounds
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- Cook the onion in the olive oil for 6 minutes (they should be soft and caramelizing).
- Add garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spices, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste. Simmer for about 30-40 minutes. Add additional spices to taste.
- Saute the eggplant in olive oil until they’re soft.
- Add the onion, zucchini, and bell peppers, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the portobello mushrooms and cook until they start turning a little brown.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water until they’re al dente.
- Mix the ricotta with the pesto in a separate container.
- Grease the bottom of the lasagna dish (I just used a stick of butter).
- Spoon out some Puttanesca sauce onto the bottom of the dish.
- Layer 5 of the lasagna noodles on each other, covering the whole bottom of the dish.
- Cover the noodles with a layer of the ricotta-pesto blend.
- Layer with half of the spinach, then spoon half of the grilled vegetables on top.
- Cover with half of the mozzarella.
- Layer with half of the remaining Puttanesca sauce, and repeat Steps 6-9 with all of the remaining ingredients. You should end with a layer of mozzarella on top.
- Bake in the oven for ~1 hr, but check around 30-45 minutes to see if the cheese has browned. If it’s sufficiently browned, pull it out.