This is a vegetarian recipe for a hearty, thick soup. Makes 6 servings. Goes well with ciabatta bread and bellavitano cheese.
- 2 sliced portobello mushroom caps
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 4 cups of water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 sliced carrots
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- olive oil for saute
- Saute all of the vegetables, barley, and mushrooms in olive oil in your soup pot. Cook for ~15 min, or until the onions are soft.
- Add the flour, and mix well, stirring for about 1 min.
- Immediately add the vegetable stock, salt, spices, and water to the pot. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a spoon to unstick any flour that may have stuck to the bottom. This is an important step because it will incorporate the flavors from the saute into the soup.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 45 min, or until the barley is soft and tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add any additional spices, as necessary.