Foccacia bread is probably the easiest bread to make. It’s great for beginners or lazy bakers because you really don’t have to do much to get something tasty.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp of fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1 package of active dry yeast (2.5 tsp)
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- cookie sheet
- 2 large bowls
- warm towl
- measuring cups/spoons
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, herbs, and pepper in a saucepan. Heat the mixture, stirring occasionally, for about 15-20 minutes. Don’t let the oil smoke or the garlic brown.
- Separately in a large bowl, combine the honey, yeast and water. Stir. Let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the flour and 1/4 cup of the oil to the yeast bowl. Stir. Let it rest for another 5 minutes.
- Add the last of the flour and the salt. Mix it well.
- Knead the dough until it’s smooth.
- Transfer the dough ball to another bowl, cover with a warm towel, and let it sit for an hour.
- After an hour, preheat the oven to 450F.
- Oil the cookie sheet with about 2 tbsp of the oil mixture.
- Press the dough into the cookie sheet with your fingers, evenly spreading it out (about 1 in thick).
- Dimple the dough with your fingers.
- Drizzle the last of the olive oil on the top of the dough.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until it’s golden.